Moving to the UK from New Zealand

Are you moving to the UK from NZ and want to weigh up your shipping options?

As certified and knowledgeable moving specialists, the team at Transworld are here to make your move to the UK as stress-free as possible. Whether you’re emigrating to the UK with your family, or heading off by yourself, we understand that there’s a lot to consider.

To help you with your move to UK, we've put together some useful tips and advice below.

Free Moving Quote

Shipping Your Personal Belongs: Your Options

When you're emigrating to UK, there are several shipping options available. When weighing up these options, consider the following:

How much do you want to take?   /  What's your budget?   /  How fast do you want your goods to arrive?


FCL: for when you’re shipping a full household

If you are shipping a full household to the UK you'll probably need a sole-use container (FCL).

This is a faster way to ship as you’re not having to share the container with others. Once your container has been loaded, it will be sealed and delivered to the port for immediate shipping.

Transworld operates regular FCL shipping services to all major UK and European ports.

Key benefits:

  • More capacity: a full container can typically accommodate a complete household
  • Faster shipping times: normally FCLs are loaded at client’s residence, delivered directly to the port and shipped on the first available vessel.
  • Ship anywhere in the UK: our full container service covers all major UK ports
Read More
Read Less

Groupage: for when you're happy to share

For those with a small household or just looking to ship a few items, groupage shipping is the answer.

This way you share a container with other clients moving to the same destination. Groupage is an economical way of shipping, as you only pay for the space you use. Keep in mind, this service may take a little longer while we wait to fill the container for your destination but it is a very cost effective option.

Key benefits:

  • Lower cost: pricing is based on the actual size of your shipment, so you only pay for the space your effects take up in the container
  • Flexibility: giving you the freedom to decide how much you want to ship, from a couple of boxes to a small household
  • We regularly ship groupage containers to Southampton, Felixstowe, London Gateway, Liverpool, Grangemouth and Belfast and can deliver to all parts of the UK.
Read More
Read Less

Air Freight: for when you want it extra fast

Air Freight is the fastest option, though the most expensive. Ideal if you’re not taking a lot, or for those extra items you’ll need soon after your arrival.

Key benefits:

  • Fastest option:air freight is the fastest way to get your effects to the UK.
  • Perfect for a few essential items you want delivered quickly
  • Our air freight service covers all major cities in the UK
Read More
Read Less

Why You Should Choose Transworld

Here at Transworld, we offer a complete door-to-door service.

When you're moving across the world, the team at Transworld are here to take care of all your shipping needs.

From packing your possessions, to shipping, to arranging Customs and Quarantine clearance, to safely delivering them to your new residence in the UK.

We want to make your move to the UK as stress-free as possible, and you'll have a dedicated team member to answer any questions you may have and keep you fully informed of the status of your shipment right through to your final destination in the UK.

Free Moving Quote


Approximate door to door transit times, including packing and unpacking, are as follows:

FCL: Allowing for Customs and Quarantine delays at destination, shipping to the UK will take approximately 9-10 weeks.

Groupage: Because we need to wait until we have enough consignments to fill the container, shipping can take a little longer. Once it is full, shipping times will be approximately 10 to 12 weeks..

Air Freight: As the fastest shipping option, air freight will usually take 2-3 weeks.

If you're wanting to important firearms or weapons to the UK, you will need a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate from the Chief Officer of Police in the area in which you're planning to live.

Until the certificate has been granted, your firearms or weapons will be held by UK Customs. Your shipment will also require a full Customs inspection, which will incur additional costs.

The importation of other types of weapons, including flick knives, daggers, swordsticks, knuckle dusters, replica guns, BB guns and unsafe firearms, plus self-defence sprays, is prohibited.

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) simplifies the process for importing your pet into the UK without the need for quarantine. Transworld can arrange all pet transport requirements on your behalf.

To be eligible for the PETS, your dog or cat must:

  • Be certified by an authorized vet
  • Travel via certain designated air routes to the UK
  • Be microchipped
  • Be vaccinated against rabies

If you're looking at shipping your vehicle to UK, the Transworld team can help. You can import your car or motorcycle into the UK duty free, as long as you've:

  • Owned and used it for at least six months
  • Lived outside the EU for at least twelve months
  • Are taking up permanent residence and are not planning to sell the vehicle for at least one year after importation

To import your vehicle to the UK, you will need to provide:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Documents to confirm you have owned and used it, such as: purchase invoice, insurance document, etc.
  • Original copy of C104A form

Here at Transworld, we offer a complete door-to-door service. This means we take care of all Customs and Quarantine requirements.

With experienced and qualified experts, we understand the ins and outs of the British customs and quarantine regulations. Our helpful team are here to prepare your goods and manage all the paperwork needed.

We take care of:

  • Quarantine inspection
  • Supplying you with the required Customs UK form
  • Packing your shipment with an inventory of each item

What you need to do:

  • Supply a copy of passport
  • State whether you are moving as a tourist or temporary residence (in this case, you will need to provide your intended length of stay)
  • Apply for a URN (unique reference number) before your goods arrive in the UK. This is a requirement for all shipments going to the UK and we recommend you apply as soon as you decide you're ready to move.
  • Prohibited and restricted items
  • Before moving to the UK from NZ, it's important to know what is restricted or prohibited from entering the UK
  • Examples of items that can't be imported include:
    • Meat, milk and other animal products
    • Unlicensed drugs, weapons, and indecent material
    • Counterfeit and pirated goods, such as watches, clocks and CDs
    • Endangered plant and animal species